So as some people may have seen Clusterbuggames.co.uk has been updated with a fancy new look. No more horrible framesets. I'm using div elements and all that good stuff. This means that my site looks and works fine on all* browsers (PC based). My site also works ok on mobile but can be improved on a little bit (only tested this on a few Android phones).
I use Ajax and JQuery, to load data onto pages and fade them in all nice like :)
Apart for the website update, I have continued design and prototyping on a management-based game. It is going well! I currently have a basic level generator which will generate a grid of rooms, based on parameters given. After these parameters are given, the grid will procedurally generate itself. I did this in Unity with C# script and I'm ok with the way it currently works. In the below example the top-left most room I use as a button to start the "level generation".
Right now I only have 3 types of rooms, they all look similair but they are going to be the "generic room" types in the game. I made these graphics myself :D (With some help from a texture). Not bad for somebody who can't art:
I can generate a grid based on Y and X numbers. For example a grid of 3 by 4 will generate a grid of 12 rooms. 3 rooms down and 4 across. I'm happy with the ability to specify the size of the grid myself, as maybe I can add this to the UI for the player. They can pick how large they want their grid to be. Or perhaps they can pick from a bunch of preset sizes. Food for thought.
Still a few kinks to sort out. The major hold up at the moment is, as usual, content. I am spending a lot of my time making the graphics and UI elements for my game. It's taking a while but I'm going to keep on trucking. So far I have an awesome backdrop thanks to Spacescape made by Alex Peterson. A neat program I found while working on my DroneBoats project. It allows me to make graphics that look like this for example:
Its actually made for skybox creation. You guys can check the program out at http://alexcpeterson.com/spacescape. I found it real useful!
The next steps are to continue content creation and also figuring out how to connect my rooms together dynamically and randomly but not have any rooms be unlinked. That last part is going to be fun :)
I still need to continue my Android book and exercises which I hope to get back to soon. It's constantly at the back of my mind.
Anyhow, Please check out my new home site update :D I'm going to continue working now that I have some time to spend on this. I am having a lot of fun and I'm happy that I don't have to spend hours trying to model anything.